– Feb 2, 2022 (4:00 p.m.; remote via Zoom)
I. Call to Order, K Marsh
II. Meeting Minutes
Approval of December 1, 2021 UFC Meeting Minutes
1. President Troy Paino
2. Provost Tim O’Donnell
3. College Deans
-Dean Pete Kelly, CoE, written report
-Dean Keith Mellinger, CAS
-Dean Ken Machande, CoB
4. SGA Representative’s Report (Brianna Reeves)
5. USC Representative’s Report (Justin Wilkes)
6. UFC Chair’s Report (K Marsh) Welcoming Dr. Shavonne Shorter; UFC Exec meeting w/Provost
7. UFC Vice Chair’s Report (Rachel Graefe-Anderson)
8. Parliamentarian and FSVA Representative (Marcel Rotter); Legislative Report from FSVA
9. University Committees – UFC acceptance of Minutes/Reports
–University Academic Affairs Committee (minutes)
–University Budget Advisory Committee (minutes 11.29.22 minutes 11.22.21
–University Curriculum Committee (minutes 11.19.21; also posted as action items below)
–University Faculty Affairs Committee (No minutes or reports)
–University Faculty Organization Committee (minutes 1.10.22)
–University General Education Committee (2022.1.19 Gen Ed committee minutes)
–University Sabbaticals, Fellowships & Faculty Awards Committee (no minutes/reports)
–University Student Affairs & Campus Life Advisory Committee (minutes 1.18.22)
–Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS) Committee (minutes 11.19.22)
–Digital Intensive Committee (no minutes)
–Distance and Blended Learning Committee (minutes 1/31/22)
–First Year Seminar Committee (Minutes; one action item below)
–Honors Program Committee (no report)
–James Farmer Multicultural Center Advisory Committee (no minutes)
–Journalism Advisory Committee (minutes 1.28.22)
–Speaking Intensive Committee (no minutes or reports)
–Teaching Center Advisory Committee (no minutes or reports)
–Writing Intensive Committee (no minutes or reports)
IV. Committee Action Items for UFC Approval (Curricular Approvals)
-General Education Committee (action items 1.19.22)
-University Curriculum Committee (from meeting 1.22, as submitted by Larry Lehman)
-From JAC, newspaper name change (The Weekly Ringer) for Catalog.
– From UAAC, Action Item (#2 in minutes from 1.20.22)
V. Unfinished Business
- Motion on clarification of WI/SI requirements for double majors (Miriam Liss & Kristin Marsh) This motion was tabled at December UFC meeting in order to give Gen Ed Committee additional time to give explicit recommendation. See Gen Ed Committee minutes, above. And Bob Rycroft’s e-mail affirming their support of the motion.
- Motion for ad hoc faculty committee to study alternative semester options. This motion came out of discussion at Dec 1st meeting.
- Motion from TCAC: changes to Faculty Handbook
VI. New Business
- Motion in Support of Bridgewater College, brought by S. Sumner)
- Open Discussion on Faculty Workload and Morale. Should we consider faculty governance structural changes to streamline approvals and reduce redundancies in our workload? Can each college look internally at service load redundancies?
- Reminder: UFC reps and Committees approving curriculum changes: deadline reminder and update.
- The next regularly scheduled UFC meeting is Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 4:00 p.m. (via Zoom).